Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Update

      As you can see I'm not one to post very often. But, as an update, it has now been almost a month since I first set a goal of training to run in the Ptree road race. In the past month, I have signed up to a local gym, bought new running shoes, read some training books and have started running. I used to only be able to run for about 2-3min at any one time before I would have to stop and walk. Now I am up to about 20-25min. Still a little on the slow end because I'm running at a 4.0 speed on the treadmill so I only get to 1.5-2 miles. But I'm allowing myself to start slow so that I can build up the endurance and still protect my knees. Another thing I've been doing is stopping myself after a certain distance. The past three days I've been stopping when I reach exactly 1mile, even if I have the endurance to keep going. So today, I decided to turn off the screen and I'd listen to my body and stop when it told me to. So that got me to about 1.6miles and I had to stop because I developed a blister on my left foot and it created a stinging feeling because of all the friction. So the lesson from today's workout: Wear thicker socks. Just another one of the many things I have to go out and buy. I find myself spending more and more money just on training. But I guess it's like any other hobby you decided to take up.
       I read that it takes 28 days to develop a habit. So, my goal this month is to make working out a Habit of mine. In Jan. I was going to the gym about 2-3days in a row and then not going for 3-4days in a row. I realized that wasn't doing anything for me. So I'm trying really hard to not go one day without spending at least 30min in the gym. I'm alternating days that I run so that I allow my knees to rest. I'll be working with a trainer tomorrow after work which I'm dreading. I see them working with other ppl in the gym and they just push and push you. I'm all about motivation, but if I tell you a body part of mine hurts and I can't go on, that's not an invitation for you to tell me I'm weak and I can push through the pain. I pushed through my knee pain for 10 years and look what that did to me. Anyways on a brighter note..Its February! And that means that spring time is almost here and I can start running outside!! I HATE winter. I find that when I'm cold all I want to do is either be in a hot shower or under my covers eating yummy treats while watching a movie. But I crave to be outside when it's warm. I love the outdoors. Well that's my update. I'll probably check back in here in about 2 weeks. Till then, Have a Wonderful Life, Live Your Dreams, and Dare to Believe in Your Potential.
:-)

1 comment: